Thursday, October 03, 2002

South Central Pennsylvania

my sister, father, and mother

My father was presented with a lifetime achievement award by the Society of Plastics Engineers at a dinner last night in York, Pennsylvania. I joined him and my mother and sister at the dinner (they are the ones looking towards you, and that's not me on the left). He's been in that industry for almost as many years as I've been alive. When I was growing up, I didn't understand that many of the things that he and his co-workers were doing were revolutionizing the plastics industry. But, his biggest accomplishment always seemed to me that he treated his co-workers, vendors and customers with integrity and class. He has made a lot of friendships in the industry, and it was great to be part of the celebration. Congratulations, Dad!

South-central and south-eastern Pennslvania are beautiful areas. I couldn't help myself but stop a number of times along my return trip this afternoon. At one point, I pulled off the road to snap pictures of some ponies, when their owner surprised my by driving his buggy past.

amish traveler in a buggy on route 896 in southern Pennsylvania

It was an enjoyable trip, and it was great to spend some time with my family. They're even catching on this to blogging stuff.