Saturday, March 08, 2003

executions aren't always capital punishment


In my private practice, I regularly schedule executions. We assist our clients with the execution of their estate planning documents, such as Last Will and Testatments, Durable Powers of Attorney, and Advance Healthcare Directives.

By executing the documents we are referring to having them signed and witnessed, but it usually raises some eyebrows as I walk with my clients from the conference room to the reception desk. After all, we have just been planning for what may happen after the client's death. And so there is an understandable uneasiness when I then ask the Secretary to "schedule the execution."

But we help people with their documents here, we don't speed them on their way.

States differ on the types of executions that they perform, or whether they have capital punishment at all. I found this chart informative, maybe you will as well.

No comments: