Saturday, April 06, 2002

the power of the cell phone
Global positioning chips in each cell phone? Data harvesting regarding personal usage? Displays acting as mini-billboards? I've been holding off on getting a cell phone, but I know a lot of people who use them as if they were an extension of their bodies. An Alternet article asks, "Is your cell phone watching you?" Here's one quote from the article that had me thinking a little:
Pango sets up zones called "hot spots" within businesses or shopping malls. Hidden sensors can detect your phone or Palm Pilot, upon which the system hums into life, sending ads for merchandise you might be standing near and compiling data about your shopping habits: What stores have you visited? Did you linger near the wrinkle-free khakis or by the animatronic Hello Kitty display? Boxers or briefs?
I think I'll hold off longer on getting a cell phone.

No comments: