Thursday, July 11, 2002

toxic beauty

I remember the first time I worked with auto-body fill. You need to mix in a hardening agent to the goop to get it to dry, as you apply it to a surface. As I read the label on the tube of hardening agent, which was benzoyl peroxide, a popular radio ad for a skin care medication came to mind. I don't remember which brand, but it was announced as having "real benzoyl peroxide." Being neither a chemist nor a doctor, I can't tell you whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that compounds with the same name can be used as a key element to auto-body repair and acne medication. An article on Alternet named Are Your Beauty Products Killing You? brought that memory back to me. If you use cosmetics, it's definitely worth looking at, and thinking about.

No comments: