Monday, October 19, 2009

Shine Some Light on the School Budgetary Processes

Today I read an email just to make sure that it wasn't junk mail. I am glad that I did... this time.

I received an email from the folks at Sunlight on Schools. I am still learning about the organization, the people behind it, and their goals, but it seems almost immediately to me as at least a good resource for information... and possibly much more!

The Sunlight On Schools project has gobs of data re the budgetary processes of Delaware's school districts, the salaries of those persons involved, and much more!

There is also a blog that is somehow related... or maybe they just reported on the same thing... I am still reading... The Caesar Rodney Institute Blog.

The first thing that struck me from looking at the salaries of the various individual District Superintendents, was that in addition to their high salaries, and the contract perks that are largely still hidden in contract language, many are also drawing significant amounts of overtime pay. I always thought that overtime pay was not applicable for exempt-management positions. Well not these folks! They are ripping us off merely by having their position at all, then adding to that they are drawing large salaries, adding hidden contract perks, and now I see that they are also getting OT!?!?

This certainly deserves a closer look. Anybody out there understand this? Care to explain it to us? Please do....

No comments: