Friday, July 23, 2004

Thomas J. Scarf's History of Delaware, 1609-1888. The Bench and Bar

One of the most reknown histories of the State of Delaware is online.

I saw a copy of the two volumes of this history in an antique shop last fall, and was severly tempted to buy it and transcribe in onto the web. There were only two things holding me back. The price was one. The sheer volume of words in the thick and heavy tomes was the other.

I'm glad to see that the first volume is online. When I came across it yesterday, the first section on turned to was the chapter on the Delaware Bench and Bar.

It's interesting to read about some of the very early days of the Delaware Courts.

I also turned to the section on the "hundred" where I'm located, and read about some of the history of Newark, where I live. I knew that Washington came down the Main Street here in town. I didn't know that the British marched down Main Street after him.

It's kind of fun to see the names of some of the people that streets and places are named after, too.

No comments: